Thursday, August 26, 2010

Why I'm 50/50 on Tangled


Ok so since this is the latest CG thing to shoot out of the hit and miss (well mostly miss) factory of Walt Disney Animation Studios; and being as I am a die hard fan, of course I hold some hopefulness that this will not be another Chicken Little...or even Bolt cause come on people...it was cute but at the end of the day that film was just a mess.


Ok so lets start with the pros, shall we?


It's a Disney movie.


It's a classic fairytale.


It's one of my fav fairy tales-Rapunzel.


Glen Keane? HELLO!


The concept art is AMAZING.-honestly if I have to wait till it comes out on DVD and just buy an artbook(please let there be an art book) and suck it up for however long it takes, I will.


The art direction in general looks wonderful.


Now I've heard a few people compare the style to the Shrek style but honestly if you really look it's apples and oranges. There's an organic feel to this that the Shrek style doesn't have. With the Shrek look things look stiff and shallow. And even though you get the soft plastic look that most of these CG animated films that do not try for the creepy realism look, it still has this bright, soft appeal that Shrek didn't have. That being said I'm sure there's going to be more pop culture references than I'd prefere to sit through. Sadly though the industry in general seems to be mistaking dated humor for actual content.


And premptively I don't really give two figs about the name change. People complain about the change from Rapunzel to Tangled and the new focus on the male hero but honestly they admitted it was doen to widen the appeal to boys. They admitted that the lack of attention to male audiences was one of the highest factors in the perceived faliure of The Princess and the Frog. Remember all that focus on the PRINCESS and the ignoring anything even remotely appealing to a boy in the marketing and advertising. Yes they had increased appeal from her being the first black princess but it wasn't enough. Girls drive the market but children as a whole drive it more and boys are not a thing to be messed with...look at Pokemon for goodness sakes. So my comment about it is why is there an issue with wanting the film to do well. You can complain that it should stand on it's merit but lets face facts folks, if you market lightening in a bottle as New Coke, it doesn't matter how good the actual product is, everybody hates New Coke.


When I got married I changed my name....But I'm still amazing...so shut up already.


Now for the cons:





Really?


Oh well, see logic and previous experiences tell me this film will be a tour de force of mediocre...but lack luster it will not be...the film practically oozes luster.


But I mean c'mon-



Time will tell...


See ya real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment